TS 16949 is the International Standard for Automotive Quality Management Systems.
What is ISO/TS 16949?
ISO/TS 16949 was jointly developed by The International Automotive Task Force (IATF) members and submitted to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for approval and publication.
The document is a common automotive quality system requirement based on ISO 9001, and customer specific requirements from the automotive sector.
ISO/TS 16949 emphasizes the development of a process oriented quality management system that provides for:
- continual improvement
- defect prevention
- reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain
The goal is to meet customer requirements efficiently and effectively.
IS ISO/TS 16949 right for me?
The standard is applicable to any organisation that manufactures components, assemblies and parts for supply to the automotive industry. In this context manufacturing is defined as:
The process of making or fabricating production materials, production or service parts, assemblies or heat treatment, welding, painting, plating or other finishing services.
What are the benefits of certification?
- Customer satisfaction. Deliver products that consistently meet customer requirements.
- Reduced operating costs. Continual improvement of processes and resulting operational efficiencies mean money saved.
- Improved stakeholder relationships. Improve the perception of your organisation with staff, customers and suppliers.
- Proven business credentials. Independent verification against a globally recognised industry standard speaks volumes.
- Ability to win more business. Procurement specifications often require certification as a condition to supply, so certification opens doors.
- International recognition. Additional confidence for global sourcing.
- Consistent quality approach. Common approach in the supply chain for supplier or subcontractor development.